Meet Our Guidance Team
J. Graham Brown School Counseling Mission Statement
The mission of The J. Graham Brown School Counseling Program is to foster respect, individuality, awareness, and accountability in our students by providing systematic and comprehensive school counseling services. Academic, social, and career skills will be nurtured through direct and indirect services ensuring that all students reach their highest potential based on their unique needs and abilities.
The school counselor provides services and expertise to and for the student, teacher, parent, and the community.
Examples of services provided are:
- Advocating for ALL students.
- Developing Guidance Programs to meet students needs.
- Helping create a positive school environment where children can learn.
- Offering support during personal crisis.
- Improving communication between the home and school.
- Facilitating parent conferences.
- Identifying deterrents to learning and development.
- Facilitating individual and group counseling.
- Guiding students in selection of appropriate placement and course sequence.
- Offering College and Career guidance.
- Leading Transition Planning
- Coordinating efforts and referrals with other school based resources and community agencies.
When Should Parents Contact Their Child's School Counselor?
- Concerns about student achievement
- Special needs and considerations
- Early discussion and indentification of a crisis
- Family or student difficulties or concerns
- Peer relationships
- Correct placement in classes and sequences
- Information related to future career and college planning
- Arranging teacher or student conferences
- Information about post-secondary financial assistance and scholarships
- New school registration and orientation
- Test Interpretation
Parents can call the school counselor any time they have a concern for their child to schedule a conference.
Congressman Yarmuth will host College Prep and Financial Aid Workshop
Congressman John Yarmuth will host a college prep and financial aid workshop on Tuesday, August 29th from 6:30 to 8:30 in Male's Gheens Auditorium. The Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority (KHEAA) will provide detailed information. To RSVP click link. https://yarmuth.house.gov/rsvpGuidance Program
IMPORTANT Senior Memo!Guidance Program
Black Achievers Registration
2017-2018 Black Achievers and Youth Achievers
Saturday, August 12 @9:00 a.m. in Chestnut Street YMCA Gym
930 West Chestnut Street
A Great and Exciting New Program is Being Planned Just For You!
Register today to receive a free discount.
See attached for program calendar and registration form.
All are welcome!!!Guidance Program
The Ultimate Guide to College Campus Visits from ACTGuidance Program
Schedules will be viewable on Parent Portal on August 15th. Be sure to pick up a fresh paper copy in the lobby on the first day of school, as schedules change at the last minute!Guidance Program