Visual and Performing Arts Program
J. Graham Brown students have the opportunity to engage in the visual and performing arts at all three levels of our school. All our visual and performing arts teachers have specialized certification in the content area.
- Students in grades K-5 engage in Visual Arts, General Music, and Theatre/Drama.
- First through third graders can elect to take Suzuki violin group lessons twice weekly. Fourth and fifth graders can enroll in Elementary Orchestra.
- Middle school students can choose one or two of these classes each year: Chorus, Band, Orchestra, Theatre, Visual Arts.
- These courses are available to high school students: Band (1,2,3,4), Chorus (1,2,3,4), Orchestra (1,2,3,4), Theatre (1,2), Visual Art (1,2,3,4), Ceramics/Sculpture 1, AP Studio Art.
Visual and Performing Arts Snapshots
Career and Technical Education Program
Students at the J. Graham Brown School have the opportunity to enroll in exciting classes in Information Technology!
- Students in grades K-5 receive weekly instruction in using the Google Suite for Education in their Computer Literacy class.
- Our third through fifth graders enroll in an additional Computer Literacy class with a STEM focus.
- Brown Middle students can choose to take Computer Literacy each year, through which they will building upon existing computer skills. Students will also work on projects for STLP and spend time coding with robotics.
- Brown High School students can take the following classes in our Digital Game Design pathway or Computer Science pathway. (More classes will be added as the pathways expand.) These include Digital Literacy, Game Design and Development Principles, Introduction to Computer Science, and Project-Based Programming.
Career and Technical Education Snapshots
World Language Program
Students at the J. Graham Brown School can enroll in Spanish for their World Language. We have two full-time Spanish teachers.
- All students in grades K-5 take Spanish throughout the year as part of their related arts rotation.
- Middle school students in grades 7 can take Spanish for middle school credit. Eighth graders can take Spanish 1 for high school credit.
- High school students can enroll in Spanish 1, 2, 3, and 4. Students can also take dual-credit Spanish classes at local colleges and universities.
World Language Snapshots
Health and Physical Education Program
The J. Graham Brown School offers a comprehensive health and physical education program for students in grades K-12.
- Elementary students take physical education/health on a rotation throughout the year with a certified P.E. teacher. They also are able to engage in physical activity on non-P.E. days.
- Middle school students may enroll in a year-long P.E./Health class.
- All high school students must take a Health/P.E. class in order to meet Kentucky graduation requirements.
- High school students may also enroll in these elective courses: Advanced P.E., Advanced P.E. 3, and Conditioning Principles.